Friday, July 28, 2006

Spurrier Meets The Media

Steve Spurrier is always good for an entertaining line or three...

From ESPN:

When asked how he felt about his team having to play a 12-game schedule, Spurrier said: "I went and saw our girls' basketball team play four straight nights at the SEC tournament, and they weren't bitching and moaning."

From the AP:

"It's exciting to sometimes do some things that have never been done before," Spurrier said. "That's what makes it really a fun job. I tell recruits: We've got nowhere to go but up."

Why doesn't this appeal work for Ted Roof? Probably because even when Duke goes 3-8, Roof has to admit, "Actually, we could go down a little bit."

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"Hopefully, someday I can come to this meeting and tell you we have got a team that is ready to challenge, which I did at Florida probably all 12 years," he said.

When that day might come, Spurrier can't quite put his finger on. The coach is in the second year of a seven-year, $8.75 million deal. Of course, there are incentives that can be reached and more money that can be made. And more years can be added to that contract.

Three would be enough to take Spurrier to 75 and maybe an age when he's ready to retire. At least that was the age he pinpointed one day last year.

"I guess I felt pretty good that day," Spurrier said Thursday. "That age thing is a funny thing. When I start acting like an old dude and talking like one, then get rid of me."

And:

"For some reason, we haven't done all that much historically," Spurrier said.

Yep, Outback Bowl.