Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Intro Tunes

Every Day Should Be Saturday posted a great discussion topic today: To what song would a team enter its stadium if it didn't have a fight song? I thumbed through my CD collection and came up with a few ideas...

NC State -- An EDSBS commenter suggested ZZ Top's "Cheap Sunglasses," which is a fine choice but doesn't evoke the depression surrounding most Saturdays at Carter-Finley over the last two seasons. I'm going with Blur's "Death of a Party."

The death of the party
Came as no surprise
Why did we bother?
Should have stayed away

North Carolina -- ...Trail of Dead's "Mistakes and Regrets." Seems apt:
If I could make a list
Of my mistakes and regrets
I'd put your name on top
And every line after it


Clemson -- First thing that came to mind considering the events of this season: Wilco's "I am trying to break your heart." Maybe Tommy Bowden can sing a few verses for us during an upcoming halftime show. This song doubles as the official song of the NC State basketball team.

Georgia Tech -- "The End Has No End" by The Strokes. Chan Gailey lingers, and the Jackets seem to win 7 games every year.

Duke -- "How to disappear completely" by Radiohead. Is there a major-conference football team with a lower profile?

Ohio State -- Weezer's "Undone -- The Sweater Song." The Buckeyes need to get on this one. I crack up when I think about Tressel leading the troops onto the field to:
If you want to destroy my sweater
Pull this thread as I walk away