Friday, January 30, 2009

I really didn't need this today.

Is CJ Leslie sure?

C.J. Leslie, a 6-foot-9 junior forward at Word of God Christian Academy, sounds like a young man who would like to keep his options open on where he'll go to college.

Leslie verbally committed to N.C. State after his freshman year of high school.

After sitting out Word of God's victory over Flora McDonald a week ago because of a sprained ankle, he was asked whether the early commitment made the college process easier because he didn't have to worry about it, or gave him more time to think about whether that's what he really wants to do.

"A little of both," Leslie said. "I mean, it has its ups and its downs. I feel like I did commit as a ninth-grader, so it was a bit early. Just committing so early, you don’t really have a chance to see other colleges and know what you really want."

On whether he was taking any other college visits, he said: "Not right now. I’m just focusing on basketball. I feel like if it comes up, it’ll be time [to deal with it]."