Monday, September 08, 2008

Even George Tarantini Would Fire George Tarantini

The Technician spoke with the men's soccer coach last week:

Technician: What expectations do you have for the team this season?

Tarantini: The expectations of us are to be competitive in the ACC and go to the NCAA [championship tournament]. Anything less than that is unacceptable. My expectations are high. I don't think I've been this excited in a long, long time. I don't remember ever being so optimistic. But all those are good wishes. You have to prove [it] on the field.

[snip]

To get to play on Friday or Saturday night will be a huge advantage for us. I have never talked about that before. You never heard me say anything like that. I never talk about facilities. That's not me. I play with whatever we have, and there was no excuse for us to not make the NCAA tournament.

So, from the coach himself, there are no excuses for not making the NCAAs, and missing the tournament is unacceptable. If/when the team does not reach that goal, then... right? Right?

The guys are off to an 0-2-1 start.