Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Just not Chad, okay, Lou?

Lou Piniella has totally had it:



After watching the Devil Rays lose for the 10th time after blowing a lead in the eighth inning, manager Lou Piniella said he plans to have a reliever start Wednesday, then turn to Casey Fossum, who is scheduled to start. Piniella insisted he's not joking.

``I've made up my mind and that's what we're going to do,'' he said. ``People are going to think I'm crazy, but we're just going to try it. Starting (Wednesday), I'll bring in whatever reliever I feel like starting the game with, and I'll bring my starter in the third inning and we'll play nine innings of baseball that way.

``I'm serious.''


And now good people like Chad Orvella are hopeless bystanders to Lou's whims.

[Edit 8:30PM -- Lou got cold feet, went with Fossum to begin the game. Bummer.]

[Edit 9:45PM -- It's a bummer for the D-Rays as well. Seven runs scored against Fossum, including a three-run shot by Big Frank.]